Gilda Razani – Theremin – Saxophone – Live Electronic – Composer – Producer
… convinces with great composition and sound, one of the most fascinating duos of recent years. It is hard to escape the hypnotic charm of the music, which is both structured and complex. Highly recommended!
… an album as brilliant as the stars in the sky, Membran Music takes ‘Polaris‘ as its theme. The instrumental cosmos, with Theremin, piano, soprano saxophone and live electronics moves from classical music to progressive jazz, but at the same time always retaining its dark colouring. It is unique in the same way as ABOUT APHRODITE!
… What Hans and Gilda achieve in this album can only be called an immersive audio experience. Out of melancholy undertones springs music full of tonal fantasy and lyrical depth, and behind the duo’s conscious and animated musical freedom lies a wealth of in-depth knowledge and experience”
… she plays the theremin perfectl … It makes for an alluring and innovative set that manages to avoid many of the clichéd pitfalls that limit most theremin music.
The German duo About Aphrodite, however, utilize the eerie – sounding instrument to craft quite lovely and evocative soundscapes in their mashups of jazz with classical and electronic music forms. About Aphrodite create atmospheric works that are simultaneously nostalgic and of-the-moment, evincing the melancholy of faded glory. Razani theremin sing and soars, the instrument’s tones mimicking the human voice – and at times, a string instrument!
Iranian born Gilda Razani has worked with many musicians , bands, ensembles, conductors and orchestras among others with Hans Wanning, Karl Heinz Stockhausen, Marc Johnson, Trilok Gurtu, John Lee, Sub.vison,Manhattan Transfer, WDR Funkhausorchestra, Duisburger Symphony Orchestra, Reinhold Seehafer, Staatskapelle Weimar,Jaime Moraga Vasquez, Hikary, Helmut Zerlett Band, Paul Wallfisch, The Dorf, Bescay, Max Raabe, Opera Baden- Baden, Theatre Dortmund, Transorient Orchestra, Helmut Schmidt Show, Djangos Orientologie Orchestra, Geierabend, Sicilian Jazz Orchestra,
2021 Gilda made new theremin recordings with Manhattan Transfer and the WDR Funkhausorchestra, arranged by Vince Mendoza. 2020 she played the theremin part of the world premiere ‚Selma‘ with the Staatskapelle Weimar at the Altmark Festspiele, composed and directed by Reinhard Seehafer. Also she played 2019 under the conductor Marc Johnson the virtous theremin part in the opera Mozart „La finta giardiniera“, at the Baden- Baden Theatre.She had the honor to be part of the work „Sternenklang“, composed and directed by Karl – Heinz Stockhausen.
She played with saxophone and flute the Threepenny Opera at the Dortmund Theatre with Paul Wallfisch.
Festivals and Tours
Gilda has performed at many festivals arround the world among other things at the Leverkusener Jazzdays Germany, Jazzkaarfestival Estonia, Juicy beats Germany, Jazz Province Festival Russia, Afterhills Festival Romania, Spirit of the Woodstockfestival Italia, Donne in Musica Italia, Fusionfestival Germany, Les Digitales Suisse, Skandaloes Festival Germany, Klangtherapie Festival Germany, Tropen Tango Festival Germany. Zurück zu den Wurzeln Festival Germany, Moers Festival Germany, European Women’ s Jazz Festival Italy, Jazzfestival Groningen Netherlands, Klarafestival Bruxelles Belgium, Altmark Festspiele. Also she toured with her bands through many countries.
Compositions and Productions
Gilda is a composer and producer.
All recordings with her bands Sub,vison and About Aphrodite are their own compositions and productions in collaboration with her long standing companion Hans Wanning including
* Duo live, Munichrecords 2002
* Bazaar, Traumtonrecords 2005
* Remembrance, Timelinerecords 2009
* Nashira, ESC Records 2012
* Ocean Lily, Aztek Electronic Music 2014
* Factor X, Aztek Electronic Music 2015
* Polaris, Floating World Records 2018
* Future Memories, Floating World Records 2020
Gilda Razani and Hans Wanning are working for German television.
Since 2015 they have composed and produced numerous film scores and radioplays for the WDR (West German Broadcasting, Cologne)
* #weltuntergang: Der Sommer, der ins Wasser fiel , 2015
* #jesuischarlie: Ein Hashtag und die Folgen , 2015
* #fluechtlinge – was sind wir für ein Land , 2016
* #germanwings – die Katastrophe. Rückblick und Gedenken , 2016
* #land_unter-Der Unwetter-Sommer 2016
* #monsterstau – Stillstand ist unser Leben! 2016
* #koelnhbf , 2016
* schrecklichschön: weihnachten, 2016
* schrecklichschön: geschenke, geschenke ,2016
* Die schönsten Mausmomente , 2017
* Die Wunde meiner Stadt – Asli, Duisburg und die Loveparade, 2018
* #jahrhundertsommer – Sonne satt und Schattenseiten, 2018
* Mit Volldampf durch die Wüste, WDR Kiraka, 2018, nominated for the german radioplayprice 2018
* Anne und die Bankräuber, WDR Kiraka 2019
* Der Weihnachtsmann – Auflauf, WDR Kiraka 2020
* About Aphrodite’s recording Polaris arranged for String Quartett and their band, 2019
* Gilda has composed and arranged many songs for the music and comedy show Geierabend.
*2020 WDR Jazzpreis The Dorf und Umland
* 2019 tour winner of the „Theremin Star Contest“, dedicated to the 100th anniversary of the theremin from Theremin Today, Russia.
* 2016 DFJP Award (German French Journalism Prize) for the Film #jesuischarlie: ein Hashtag und seine Folgen, directed by Christian Dassel andClemens Gersch.
*2013 Jazzprice Ruhr with The Dorf
Since 2013 she has been lecturer for saxophone and theremin at the University of Dortmund.
My Theremin Orchestra is Gilda’s solo project. She perform with her Theremin and her Electronics
Gilda Razani theremin / saxophone/ pipe/ electronics
Hans Wanning piano / synthesizer/ electronics featuring
Jaime Moraga Vasquez drums/ percussion/ electronics/voice
About Aphrodite stands for a fascinating, hypnotic sonic experience. Their music can be described as an pulsing organism, breathing, vital, full of surprises, in which they play with fun and ease concerts and live sets. They present their new album ‚Future Memories‘, released by Floating World Records /London
Reviews „Future Memories“
“The three artists create a fantastic hypnotically sound’ Ars Tremonia
‚“Future Memories is a very strong album, you are almost get drawn into the musical cosmos of About Aphrodite. Highly recommended!“ musikansich
“… that this is about existential issues. But for that you need emotion and empathy – and for that the music is ready’ nrwjazz.net
„… shimmering oceans of sound …“ O – Ton
Over four lauded studio albums , the album Ocean Lily 2014 and Factor X 2015 coming out by Atzek Electronic Music Melbourne Australia and Polaris and Future Memories released 2018 and 2020 by Floating World Records London/UK , each album has seen the band expand or explore new expressive ways.
*Duo Gilda Razani/ Hans Wanning
Hans Wanning and Gilda plays Jazz Standards and Classical Works with their instruments Theremin, Saxophone and Piano.