Gilda Razani – Theremin – Saxophone – Live Electronic – Composer – Producer
… convinces with great composition and sound, one of the most fascinating duos of recent years. It is hard to escape the hypnotic charm of the music, which is both structured and complex. Highly recommended!
… an album as brilliant as the stars in the sky, Membran Music takes ‘Polaris‘ as its theme. The instrumental cosmos, with Theremin, piano, soprano saxophone and live electronics moves from classical music to progressive jazz, but at the same time always retaining its dark colouring. It is unique in the same way as ABOUT APHRODITE!
… What Hans and Gilda achieve in this album can only be called an immersive audio experience. Out of melancholy undertones springs music full of tonal fantasy and lyrical depth, and behind the duo’s conscious and animated musical freedom lies a wealth of in-depth knowledge and experience”
… she plays the theremin perfectl … It makes for an alluring and innovative set that manages to avoid many of the clichéd pitfalls that limit most theremin music.
The German duo About Aphrodite, however, utilize the eerie – sounding instrument to craft quite lovely and evocative soundscapes in their mashups of jazz with classical and electronic music forms. About Aphrodite create atmospheric works that are simultaneously nostalgic and of-the-moment, evincing the melancholy of faded glory. Razani theremin sing and soars, the instrument’s tones mimicking the human voice – and at times, a string instrument!
Iranian born Gilda Razani has worked with many musicians , bands, ensembles, conductors and orchestras among others with Hans Wanning, Karl Heinz Stockhausen, Marc Johnson, Trilok Gurtu, John Lee, Sub.vison, Hikary, Helmut Zerlett Band, Paul Wallfisch, The Dorf, Bescay, Max Raabe, Opera Baden- Baden, Theatre Dortmund, Transorient Orchestra, Helmut Schmidt Show, Djangos Orientologie Orchestra, Geierabend, Sicilian Jazz Orchestra, Duisburger Symphony Orchestra.
She played in the Threepenny Opera at the Dortmund Theatre, the virtous theremin part in the opera Mozart „La finta giardiniera“, at the Baden- Baden Theatre, also under the direction of Karl Heinz Stockhausen his work „Sternenklang“. She is part of the electronic chamber opera „Oper, Skepsis and Gleisbau – alles gut“ , composed by Frank Niehusmann.
Festivals and Tours
Gilda has performed at many festivals arround the world among other things at the Leverkusener Jazzdays Germany, Jazzkaarfestival Estonia, Juicy beats Germany, Jazz Province Festival Russia, Afterhills Festival Romania, Spirit of the Woodstockfestival Italia, Donne in Musica Italia, Fusionfestival Germany, Les Digitales Suisse, Skandaloes Festival Germany, Klangtherapie Festival Germany, Tropen Tango Festival Germany. Zurück zu den Wurzeln Festival Germany, Moers Festival Germany, European Women’ s Jazz Festival Italy, Jazzfestival Groningen Netherlands, Klarafestival Bruxelles Belgium. Also she toured with her bands through many countries.
Compositions and Productions
Gilda is a composer and producer.
All recordings with her bands Sub,vison and About Aphrodite are their own compositions and productions in collaboration with her long standing companion Hans Wanning including
* Duo live, Munichrecords 2002
* Bazaar, Traumtonrecords 2005
* Remembrance, Timelinerecords 2009
* Nashira, ESC Records 2012
* Ocean Lily, Aztek Electronic Music 2014
* Factor X, Aztek Electronic Music 2015
* Polaris, Floating World Records 2018
Gilda Razani and Hans Wanning are working for German television.
Since 2015 they have composed and produced numerous film scores and radioplays for the WDR (West German Broadcasting, Cologne)
* #weltuntergang: Der Sommer, der ins Wasser fiel , 2015
* #jesuischarlie: Ein Hashtag und die Folgen , 2015
* #fluechtlinge – was sind wir für ein Land , 2016
* #germanwings – die Katastrophe. Rückblick und Gedenken , 2016
* #land_unter-Der Unwetter-Sommer 2016
* #monsterstau – Stillstand ist unser Leben! 2016
* #koelnhbf , 2016
* schrecklichschön: weihnachten, 2016
* schrecklichschön: geschenke, geschenke ,2016
* Die schönsten Mausmomente , 2017
* Die Wunde meiner Stadt – Asli, Duisburg und die Loveparade, 2018
* #jahrhundertsommer – Sonne satt und Schattenseiten, 2018
* Mit Volldampf durch die Wüste, WDR Kiraka, 2018
* Anne und die Bankräuber, WDR Kiraka 2019 https://kinder.wdr.de/radio/kiraka/audio/kinderhoerspiel/audio-anne-und-die-bankraeuber—hoerspiel-fuer-kinder-100.html
* About Aphrodite’s recording Polaris arranged for String Quartett and their band, 2019
* Gilda has composed and arranged many songs for the music and comedy show Geierabend.
*2020 WDR Jazzpreis The Dorf und Umland
* 2019 tour winner of the „Theremin Star Contest“, dedicated to the 100th anniversary of the theremin from Theremin Today, Russia.
* 2016 DFJP Award (German French Journalism Prize) for the Film #jesuischarlie: ein Hashtag und seine Folgen, directed by Christian Dassel andClemens Gersch.
*2013 Jazzprice Ruhr with The Dorf
Since 2013 she has been lecturer for saxophone and theremin at the University of Dortmund.
My Theremin Orchestra is Gilda’s solo project. She perform with her Theremin and her Electronics
Gilda Razani theremin / saxophone/ live electronic / voice
Hans Wanning piano / synthesizer/ live electronic featuring
Jaime Moraga Vasquez drums/ percussion/ voice
About Aphrodite have created their own singular exiting mix of jazz, cinematic sound, hypnotic grooves and ambient music with the instruments theremin, soprano saxophone, piano, electronics, voice and drums.They shapes their typical sound with the sonic beauty of the instrument theremin, which non contact is played. Together they explore its sonic possibilities.Over three lauded studio albums , the album Ocean Lily 2014 and Factor X 2015 coming out by Atzek Electronic Music Melbourne Australia and Polaris released 2018 by Floating World Records London/UK , each album has seen the band expand or explore new expressive ways.
*Duo Gilda Razani/ Hans Wanning
Hans Wanning and Gilda plays Jazz Standards and Classical Works with their instruments Theremin, Saxophone and Piano.